Saturday, 4 March 2017

EU citizens’ rights: the Brexit Committee report

The report of the Commons Committee on Exiting the EU (known to its friends as the Brexit Committee) on the rights of EU citizens resident here, and UK citizens resident in other EU countries, is a welcome contribution to a debate that has so far generated rather more heat than light.

The headlines will be for its recommendation that “the UK should now make a unilateral recommendation to safeguard the rights of EU nationals living in the UK” (in other words, that the government should accept at least the spirit of the Lords’ amendment passed last week).

This is entirely sensible; the government’s line that we need to hold back on this commitment to use as a “bargaining chip” (regardless of what you think of the morality of this approach) is flimsy at best.   For it to be a useful bargaining chip, we would need a credible threat; since there is neither the political will or the administrative capacity to deport large numbers of EU citizens, this does not exist. 

In the meantime, the government’s refusal to commit is damaging the UK, both directly and in terms of the UK’s image.  In fact, this line is dictated far more by domestic politics – in particular, the need to show that it is the government, not Parliament, that will shape our approach to Brexit – than by the Article 50 negotiation strategy.

But the report is perhaps most useful for its thorough and detailed explanation of the administrative and bureaucratic hurdles that will remain even when a solution is agreed in principle. As I wrote back in August:
The practical issues involved are formidable..There aren’t any ideal options – just less bad ones. But anybody who thinks that with the best will in the world this will be an easy issue to resolve is living in a fantasy world.

The Committee echoes this, and calls on the government, as a matter of urgency, to either reform or (preferably) replace entirely the current permanent residency application process:
The current process for consideration of permanent residency applications is not fit for purpose and, in the absence of any concrete resolution to relieve the anxiety felt by the estimated three million EU citizens resident in the UK, it is untenable to continue with the system as it stands. We recommend that the Government set out whether it intends the permanent residence system to be the basis for EU nationals to demonstrate their eligibility to reside in the UK once the UK leaves the EU. If so then it needs to set out as a matter of urgency, how it will reform the permanent residence application system. If not, then it needs to set out what an alternative system will involve and what will be expected of EU nationals to demonstrate their eligibility to reside in the UK once the UK leaves the EU.

Importantly, there is absolutely no reason for the government not to start on this now and to say so; in practical terms, it wouldn’t commit the government to doing anything it won’t have to do at some point anyway. The fact that it hasn’t reflects a combination of bureaucratic inertia and political unwillingness to accept the inevitable consequences (for Home Office resources, for employers, and for individuals). But reality has to kick in sometime.  The sooner this happens, the smoother the process will be, and the less unnecessary damage that will be inflicted.  The Committee has a large number of detailed and practical recommendations (on the need for any process to be simple, without unrealistic  administrative or technical  hurdles, and for data-sharing).  The government would do well to listen.

Separately, the Committee also discusses the post-Brexit immigration system, without coming to any particularly firm conclusions. But it does make two important, related points. First, that “taking back control” when it comes to immigration policy/free movement doesn’t have much to do with border control per se.  The Committee quotes me:
Ending free movement immigration control is not going to be enforced at the borders at all. It simply is not. We are still going to let people in, at Stansted and Heathrow, with French passports. They just will not have the right to work here, and that right to work will be enforced at the workplace.”

This point is fundamental – it is employers (and landlords, public services, universities, etc) who will be at the sharp end of changes to free movement.  As the Committee says, “any new system will add to the regulatory burden.”  Or, as I put it:
When it comes to immigration, “taking back control” means expanding the size and role of the state.

However, one potential advantage of this point – that what we do at border controls is not necessarily determined by what we do about individuals’ right to work in the UK – is reflected in the Committee’s acceptance that there could, in principle, be a geographic component to future policy – a Scottish work permit, or a London one.  Those who say that this would require border controls at Hadrian’s Wall or the M25 simply miss the point.


There’s lots more detail on this and other issues in the report, which is certainly the best summary of this set of issues produced so far; it is well worth reading in full. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Everyone! My name is CHERRYSHANE. I was diagnosed with HERPES 2 in April of 2012 when I was 24 years old who just completed my MA in sociology at the University of Northern Colorado where I explored the role of stigma in the process of disclosing a genital herpes diagnosis.I have wanted to get this virus cured, I am happy to share that with you! few weeks ago i came on search on the INTERNET if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr ERO and she also gave the email address (eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com) and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help so i told my husband about it the he ask me to write him because this pain has been constant especially in my knees. so i wrote to Dr ERO telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that it was going to be cured!! then i took the medicine he sent me, which few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr assured me that i have cured hence i have taken the medicine and then after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE. I can understand that lots of people are been diagnosed with this same virus so am excited to be able to share some of my experiences and thoughts about this man that you can as well contact him for help living with genital herpes is not a good thing..HERE ARE HIS CONTACT: EMAIL : (eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com) OR YOU CAN AS WELL VISIT HIS his website http://eromosalspiritualtemple.webs.com BETTER STILL CALL OR whats-app HIM via+2348161850195..GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. QUICK CURE OF HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 1 & 2 WITH { oshogumspelltemple@live.com }

      I will advice you to contact Dr Oshogum(oshogumspelltemple@live.com ) who solve all problems and give cure very fast without stress and delay. i was getting drawn in herpes virus, and medical prescription (Aciclovir‎, ‎valaciclovir‎, ‎Valtrex‎... etc) was not helping me. Till a lab doctor (my friend) direct me to contact Dr oshogum for quick cure because he also read from people whom Dr oshogum have cure of HSV 1 & 2; Virus, HIV/AID, HLS virus, Hepatitis B, STAGE 3 cancer and other STD's. I contact him as direct with his email, i explain my problem to him. He replied with what he want me to do as soon as possible because he don't want delay. After i did what he ask, he send me a Remedy which i used as he prescribed. He is a miracle worker.. It is never too late with Dr oshogum contact him today with { oshogumspelltemple@live.com }. I went for test after two week and my result came out negative. Today again i did text and my result is always negative. Note he also have cures to diseases like

      PENIS ENLARGEMENT
      DIABETES 1/2
      WEAK ERECTION
      HERPES
      HIV/AIDS
      PILE
      STROKE
      PREMATURE EJACULATION
      ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
      HPV
      ALS
      CANCER/RECTUM OR PROSTRATE
      HEART FAILURE
      ANAL FISSURE

      Delete
    2. WE OFFER ALL KIND OF LOANS Email: fundingloanplc@yahoo.com

      Are you a business man or woman? Are you in any financial mess or do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need a loan to start a nice Small Scale and medium business? Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks and other financial institutes?. Our program is the quickest way to get what you need in a snap. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses. Gain flexibility with which you can use for any purpose – from vacations, to education, to unique purchases

      **Are you financially squeezed?
      **Do you seek funds to pay off credits and debts?
      **Do you seek finance to set up your own business?
      **Are you in need of private or business loans for various purposes?
      **Do you seek loans to carry out large projects?

      We offer a wide range of financial services which includes: Business Planning, Commercial and Development Finance, Properties and Mortgages, Debt Consolidation Loans, Business Loans, Private loans, Home Refinancing, Hotel Loans, student loans at a very low interest rate of 2%.. To apply for a loan, do contact us using the details as stated and be free of scams, Email: fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +1(406)732-6622


      Delete
  2. Hi Everyone
    My mind, for some reason, wont let go of my memory's of My Wife. I had a very big problem with my wife few months ago, that lead to her leaving me. All efforts to get her back proved abortive. one day while going through the internet i saw so many testimony of this great man called Dr.Goodluck and how he helped people with all kinds of problem, his advert was everywhere,. Although I never believed in spell casting, but I had no choice than to give him a try so i contacted Him, I was so desperate to have my wife back with me once again. So I did all he told me to do. He told me thatmy wife will come back to me in the next 17hours after the spell is completed. I was skeptical. He casted the spell for me and i was so anxious waiting to see or hear from her, it was just 14hours after the spell was done my wife called and said she was coming HOME and she was asking for forgiveness for her ever hurting me before…..It was a dream come through for me!!! that was how my family and relationship was save and our relationship is now stronger than ever.my advice to you out there facing same problem or even worst then mine cry no more and contact this great man called Dr Goodluck He's capable of handling any kind of problem.
    Contact him with his Email him at: goodluck05spellcaster@gmail.com
    Call or Whats-app him: +2348138654465
    website http://drgoodluck.simplesite.com or http://lovespelltogetyourexback.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello every one.
    I'm from US-Dallas. I'm am so excited am a Complete woman Again, I Was Infected With Herpes virus since 3 Years now I am devastated and am finding it hard to cope i was emotionally down I Have Been Seriously Praying To God And Searching For Cure.So as I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr. IyaryI can help cure any type of virus like Herpes, Hiv/Aids cancer and Asthma…e.t.c And I Contacted Him, He Sent Me A Medicine And Directed Me On How I Will Take The Medicine For 21 Days, I Did So And Went For A Test And My Result Came Out As Negative. I Am So Happy, I Shared Tears Of Happiness And I Have Taken It Upon My Self To Always Testify About How God Used Dr. IyaryI To Solve My Problem. I Am A Clean woman Now, Without Any Virus If You Are Infected With Any Disease Like HIV AIDS, CANCER ,HERPES Or Any Other Disease You Can Also Be Happy Like Me By Contacting Dr. Iyaryi Through His Email driayaryi2012@hotmail.com And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349057915709 Thanks Dr. Iyaryi driayaryi2012@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. QUICK CURE OF HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 1 & 2 WITH { oshogumspelltemple@live.com }

    I will advice you to contact Dr Oshogum(oshogumspelltemple@live.com ) who solve all problems and give cure very fast without stress and delay. i was getting drawn in herpes virus, and medical prescription (Aciclovir‎, ‎valaciclovir‎, ‎Valtrex‎... etc) was not helping me. Till a lab doctor (my friend) direct me to contact Dr oshogum for quick cure because he also read from people whom Dr oshogum have cure of HSV 1 & 2; Virus, HIV/AID, HLS virus, Hepatitis B, STAGE 3 cancer and other STD's. I contact him as direct with his email, i explain my problem to him. He replied with what he want me to do as soon as possible because he don't want delay. After i did what he ask, he send me a Remedy which i used as he prescribed. He is a miracle worker.. It is never too late with Dr oshogum contact him today with { oshogumspelltemple@live.com }. I went for test after two week and my result came out negative. Today again i did text and my result is always negative. Note he also have cures to diseases like

    PENIS ENLARGEMENT
    DIABETES 1/2
    WEAK ERECTION
    HERPES
    HIV/AIDS
    PILE
    STROKE
    PREMATURE EJACULATION
    ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
    HPV
    ALS
    CANCER/RECTUM OR PROSTRATE
    HEART FAILURE
    ANAL FISSURE

    ReplyDelete